RE: "If" and "else" in RDF

From: Danny Ayers <danny@panlanka.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:13:19 +0600
To: "Murray Altheim" <altheim@eng.sun.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

<- You have guys have me really confused. Are you trying to find a way to
<- express a material implication relationship, or perform a programmatic
<- function? Turn RDF into a programming language? I don't get it.
<- Expressing
<- relationships is one thing, actually acting on them is a whole different
<- bahoosus.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that 'if' and 'then' (/'else') are
commonly used in both declarative and imperative computer languages. In the
declarative context if...then... goes right back to the basic connectives of
propositional logic, where one can say if <something> then <something
else> - a relationship is stated, there is no processing involved. RDF is a
declarative language (a representation language, whether or not you call it
a programming language is probably irrelevant), so surely this is the
appropriate context here.