Re: RDF Media Type

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:47:36 -0500
To: Lee Jonas <lee.jonas@cakehouse.co.uk>, RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Lee Jonas <lee.jonas@cakehouse.co.uk> wrote:

> Just a quick question: why _application_/rdf+xml and not _text_/rdf+xml?
> After all, isn't RDF human readable as well?

For several reasons:

1) RDF does not encode or enrich actual document text, so therefore the
semantics of text would be incorrect. Instead, it is encoding of an abstract
model.

2) Even if RDF was document text, I doubt that the average person would be
able to read it without the aid of an application.

You had me fooled that the "RDF... is human-readable" bit was from the RFC
for a second, but it is not. I've heard people working on this sort of thing
in the IETF mention numerous times that RDF and XML are _not_ human-readable
content. They just happen to use text.

--
Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>|               RSS Info
  <http://www.aaronsw.com>   |   <http://www.blogspace.com/rss/>