RE: good elevator pitch for Semantic Web

From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:44:36 +0100 (BST)
To: RDF-Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Hi Jeremy
>
> I agree, by definition an elevator pitch is at the most 30 second discourse.
> Forget about the scientific American article, its too long think 30
> second...

OK. Heres *a* 30 second RDF/SW pitch (audience matters): it's all about
making Web-accessible data easier to automate by agreeing explicit names
for meaningful relationships between things we describe in the
Web. Some real world examples: "is a critical review of...",
"works for the organisation whose home page is", "wrote the document
available at", "is pictured in the image available at", "recorded by
the dodgy rock band whose corporate home page is..." (much handwaving
appropriate at this stage, indicative of invisible nodes and arcs being
represented in confined elevator space...). The Web is about links; the
Semantic Web is about the relationships implicit in those links. --danbri