language and adoption

From: dehora <bill@dehora.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:02:03 +0100
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Hi,

Reading rdf-ig over the last week made me go back and
a paper by Guy Steele, which in turn bounced me to a
Richard Gabriel essay. It's interesting to consider
RDF in light of these two essays, as it moves into
version 2.0.

Guy Steele knows some stuff about language design:

"I stand on this claim: I should not
design a small language, and I should
not design a large one. I need to design
a language that can grow. I need to plan
ways in which it might grow--but I need,
too, to leave some choices so that other
persons can make those choices at a later
time."
<http://www.sun.com/research/jtech/pubs/98-oopsla-growing.ps>

Richard Gabriel knows some stuff about language adoption:

"The lesson to be learned from this is that it is
often undesirable to go for the right thing first.
It is better to get half of the right thing available
so that it spreads like a virus. Once people are
hooked on it, take the time to improve it to 90% of
the right thing."
<http://www.ai.mit.edu/docs/articles/good-news/good-news.html>

regards,
Bill de hOra