RE: URIs / URLs

From: Giosue Vitaglione <giosue@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:49:52 -0400 (EDT)
To: Lee Jonas <lee.jonas@cakehouse.co.uk>
cc: "'Charles McCathieNevile'" <charles@w3.org>, "'Aaron Swartz'" <aswartz@swartzfam.com>, RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, RDF Logic <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
Hey folks. This thread is getting very big.
I would invite all of us to write only things
that we know exactly, distinguishing between
facts, hypothesis, questions or opinions.

PLease, let me add an important point:

RDF needs URI.
Subject, predicate and object are URI. (or literal, ok)
I like the way this is explained at:
http://www710.univ-lyon1.fr/~champin/rdf-tutorial/

URL are locators, we all agree.
URL are also URI, they identify the location.
URN are names. The identify something, they are URI.

I love the drawing at:
http://www.w3.org/Addressing/

RFC2396 tells more about that.

Beside that, there is the discussion about
how appropriate is to use URL as identifiers
because locations change and re-assigned,
URI shouldn't.

I hope this helps the discussion.
Regards,
Giosue' Vitaglione