Re: URIs / URLs

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:01:43 +0100
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
Cc: "Lee Jonas" <lee.jonas@cakehouse.co.uk>, "'Aaron Swartz'" <aswartz@swartzfam.com>, "RDF Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Chaals wrote:-

> those URIs are stable, and that you can use the first one as
> an identifier for the mail message, and the others as identifiers
> for me, to the extent that you trust W3C to be stable and me
> to understand their policies accurately.

The message archives of the W3C are not covered by the W3C's
persistence policy [1], neither is your homepage, and neither are
message IDs or your mailbox, as far as I know. The persistence policy
is also not covered by itself, although logically it doesn't need to
be!

The point is that the only real way to assure some URI as identifying
a persistent concept is to either date stamp it, or make sure that it
is only used within a limited context. I see your point though:
practically, using your homepage to identify you (or perhaps a FragID
on that page) is a good idea, especially as one can glean further
information from the vancing thereof.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Persistence/

--
Kindest Regards,