Re: URIs / URLs

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 09:42:36PM -0700, Joshua Allen wrote:
> URN plug-in sounds interesting.  One problem I have always had with the
> extensibility model of URNs is that (obviously) each new scheme (like
> nap:, news:, etc.) requires a different piece of code to be written to
> handle that protocol -- and if you use these URLs in your page, any
> users that do not (for example) have napster installed will get some
> ugly error message when trying to click the link.  It would be nice for
> the browser to at least look for the scheme in some registry somewhere
> and suggest some plugins that the user could install.

Similar to what happens with unknown media types, right?

In case you're curious you can check out the main URI resolution doc:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-uri-res-ddds-03.txt

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821