Re: URIs / URLs

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 03:42:51 +0100
To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "Aaron Swartz" <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Cc: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@akamai.com>, "RDF Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, <uri@w3.org>
Dan Connolly <mailto:connolly@w3.org> wrote:-

> I hear there's something related called protozilla, but I
> don't know the details.

Protozilla [1] is a plug-in (not strictly... I think they call it a
socket adaptor or something) for Netscape6 that allows one to
associate certain protocols with a particular action on ones computer:
just what you've been looking for, according to:-

[[[
The two on my personal to-do list are mid: and irc:.
]]] - http://www.w3.org/Addressing/schemes

More information about Protozilla is available from [1] which I have
pointed out numerous times before after being introduced to it by
Aaron (who will almost certainly have sent a similar letter to this by
the time I'm through writing). Downloads [2] and examples [3] are also
available. Protozilla also carries with it certain disadvantages: it
makes it way too easy for people to start using URI schemes as
redirects, e.g. myscheme:ABC could be used to reference
http://www.example.org/example/ABC - I can see some of the Wiki people
starting to use wiki: already :-)

[1] http://protozilla.mozdev.org/
[2] http://protozilla.mozdev.org/download.html