Re: URIs / URLs

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:53:21 +0100
To: "Benny Gustavsson" <benny.gustavsson@araby-dalbo.com>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Hi there Benny,

> the word Web-resource to represent a resource that only
> exists on the Web [...] The only resources that are "on"
> that Web are Web-resources.

Interesting notion. In actual fact, I would suggest that there is a
little confusion here in that (as you state) all URIs identify some
resource, but some of these are retrievable and some aren't; I would
suggest that the ones that are could be considered to resolve to a
data:, URI, and so in that sense some resource which is also "on the
Web". i.e. a Web-resource would be another URI.

> A Web-resource is "considered" persistent if the entity
> that the Web-resource maps onto is persistent.

Agreed, although there is a sliding scale of both time-based
persistence, and quality-of-service persistence.

> RDF (should perhaps be Web-Resource DF)

But RDF can make assertions about any resource than can be identified,
not just resolvable ones: all URIs!

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer