Re: Dispositions of Dave Beckett's comments

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 16:32:56 -0500
To: <rdaniel@interwoven.com>, Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>, RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
CC: "'spec-comments'" <spec-comments@prismstandard.org>
Ron Daniel <rdaniel@interwoven.com> wrote:

>> Wait a sec... Are you explicitly adding something to PRISM that will make it
>> incompatible will the rest of the RDF world? I may not understand the
>> comment, and apologize if this is the case, but if I read it correctly, PRISM
>> files using this special addition will be essentially unusable with a generic
>> RDF processor. This would be a Bad Thing.
> Obviously that would be bad, no that is not what the requirement
> means. The RDF files look no different than before.

I understand this -- the issue is not that the RDF is bad, but that generic
RDF processors cannot be used as PRISM processors. In other words, I can't
take SiRPAC or Redland off-the-shelf and use it to manipulate PRISM. This
may not be a major issue, but it does bother me that you're requiring the
use of special tools to use PRISM and not being truly open RDF.