Extracting and reifying RDF statements from XML

From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:37:34 -0400
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Cc: <jason@injektilo.org>
In my investigations of simplfied XML syntax for RDF, and extracting RDF
from arbitrary or colloqial XML, I have now come to the conclusion that the
essence of TimBL's strawman, in which rdf:parseTyle='Resource' is the
default, provides the best option for extracting RDF statements from XML.
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Syntax.html

I have incorporated Jason Diamond's rdf.xsl into a new implementation of an
XSLT based RDF extractor for XML. This extractor outputs rdf:Statements.
Interestingly, when the result of a transform is itself transformed, the
statements are reified, hence I call this rdfExtractify.xsl:

http://www.openhealth.org/RDF/rdfExtractify.xsl

A brief list of features:

1) Implements XLink2RDF, now for extended XLinks as well.
2) Extracts RDF statements from plain 'ole XML
3) Extracts RDF statements from RDF with defaultParseType='Resource' (this
is a param)
4) Handles collections, aboutEach and bagID, the syntax for collections is
loosened so that any child element can be a member (need not only be
<rdf:li>)
5) Implements QNameToURI (see http://www.openhealth.org/RDF/QNameToURI.htm)
which converts namespace qualified names to URIs
6) Implements nodeIdentifier which produces an XPointer fragment identifier
e.g. #xpointer(/foo[1]) or ChildSeq identifier e.g. #/1/2 (see the XPointer
spec), the type of XPointer produced is set in the explicitPathIndices =
'ChildSeq' (default) param.

See updated: http://www.openhealth.org/RDF/rdf_Syntax_and_Names.htm

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group