RE: abstract model and reification

From: Graham Klyne <GK@Dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:10:57 +0100
To: "McBride, Brian" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "RDF Interest (E-mail)" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
At 08:57 AM 9/20/00 +0100, McBride, Brian wrote:
>So if we imagine that we have two resources s1 and s2 both of which
>represent some statement S.  Then any RDF statement
>that was true of s1, would in fact be a statement about S and so
>would also be true of s2.  And vice versa, any true statement about
>s2 would be true of S and would thus also be true of s1.  A similar
>argument applies to false statements about s1 and s2.

I'm not sure I buy the premise here...

Suppose we have s1 and s2, as you say, both modelling (representing) S.

Then we may have different statements about the statement S attached to them:
     s1 --assertedBy--> "Brian"
     s2 --assertedBy--> "Graham"

Further, consider that s1 and s2 may appear in different documents, covered
by different digital signatures, so there are differences about the
representations used, even though they represent the same statement.

Graham Klyne