RE: yet another strawman, was Re: generic XML to RDF triple mappi ng

From: James Tauber <JTauber@bowstreet.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 15:38:33 -0400
To: "'Jonathan Borden'" <jborden@mediaone.net>, "'www-rdf-interest@w3.org'" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
> I generally agree, and would put forward that the 'mapping
> language' is an RDF Schema itself.

I'm not sure I follow. An RDF Schema places contraints on triples. I am
talking about something that maps XML information items to triples.

Here's an example:

One of the serializations of

	foo , bar , baz

is

<rdf:Description about="foo">
  <bar rdf:resource="baz"/>
</rdf:Description>

So the mapping rule is (roughly)

when you hit a

	rdf:Description[@about]/*[@rdf:resource]

	then add the triple

	../@about , name() , @rdf:resource

This looks a lot more like XSLT than anything else to me.

I believe that most of the syntax of the RDF M&S could be expressed in
similar fashion and FURTHERMORE that all the XML documents I have that are
RDF-like but not quite (because they use ref instead of rdf:resource, for
example) could be mapped to triples just as easily.

James