Re: Announcing RDFdb

From: Carl Lagoze <lagoze@cs.cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 07:31:21 -0400
To: "'www-rdf-interest@w3.org'" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
I had to make one additional change to build under Solaris:
LIBS = -ldb -lpthread -lsocket
LIBS = -ldb -lpthread -lsocket -lnsl
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 05:37:56 -0700 (PDT)

From: Sergey Melnik <
-To=> &References=">melnik@DB.Stanford.EDU>

To: Guha <
&References=">guha@guha.com>, Jeen Broekstra <

y-To=> &References=">www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Subject: Re: Announcing RDFdb

Guha, Jeen,

the only change I made on Solaris was to include the socket library for

linking, i.e. in makefile, replace

	LIBS     = -ldb -lpthread

	LIBS     = -ldb -lpthread -lsocket

Guha, query optimization for a homogeneous triple store might need some

novel techniques. A traditional DBMS can hardly maintain

useful statistics across all value combinations. Therefore, bad query

plans are often generated. I have some ideas, let's talk about it,

I'll be back next week.

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Guha wrote:

> Hi Sergey,

>  Did you have to make any chage to the code to get it running

> on Solaris?

>  I have plans of supporting reification. Just haven't done it yet.

>  The indexes are currently built on b-trees provided by Sleepycat.

>  I am working on a "nested hash" structure which is more appropriate

> for graphs. The "join algorithm" is fairly straightforward and

> only uses conjunct ordering for optimization. I plan to implement

> a lot of the optimizations used in cyc, lore, etc.

>  Thanks! Do you have any suggestions, advice, etc? We should talk

> about this sometime.

>  Guha

Carl Lagoze, Digital Library Scientist
Department of Computer Science, Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
Phone: +1-607-255-6046
FAX: +1-607-255-4428
E-Mail:  <mailto:lagoze@cs.cornell.edu> lagoze@cs.cornell.edu