RDF <-> XLink <-> XML Schema

RDF IG,

Linking fans might want to take a look at this:

	http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink-naming/
	XLink Markup Name Control
        W3C Note 24 October 2000

This Note outlines a possible XML Schema based
mechanism for using XLink with langauges such as XHTML 1.0 that have a
non-XLink syntax for representing linking information. From the problem
statement:

> [...]
>  A problem arises if you already have some marked-up information that
>  provides some of the same kinds of linking
>  information that XLink is designed to provide

The proposal:

> XML Schema could be useful in handling XML documents that
> want to use XLink but already provide link
> information in a form that is incompatible with XLink.

Bearing in mind that we also have the "Harvesting RDF Statements from
XLinks" Note, http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink2rdf/
you might be interested in the brief note describing what one might
express in the XML Schema:

>[...] Or each complex type could set up an attribute of
> type xl:arcrole and give it a value that corresponds to
> an RDF property.

This relates to the recent RDF IG thread on semantics and HTML, and to
the broad goals outlined in the Cambridge Communique, ie. the claim
that syntactic schemas might contain information to aid in the creation
of application-specific data structures:
See http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/NOTE-schema-arch-19991007

Maybe all this stuff might just work together after all! XML, XHTML,
XLink, XML Schema, RDF, XSLT... I'd love to see some testbed
implementation to explore this idea -- would make for a good student
project, if any CS Dept types out there are looking for project ideas.

As a related aside (it's RDF, everything's connected ;-) I'd love to
hear if anyone managed to get the XSLT-2-C++ XSLTC compiler working with either
the XLink2RDF XSLT or either of the two XSLT RDF parsers.
see http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=681 (the XSLTC site seems down
right now btw).

Dan

Eve Maler's original announcement follows.