RE: Namespace evolution.

From: Thomas Baker <thomas.baker@gmd.de>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:14:22 +0200 (MET DST)
To: "Sigfrid Lundberg, Lub NetLab" <siglun@gungner.lub.lu.se>
cc: Rachel Heery <lisrmh@ukoln.ac.uk>, Shigeo Sugimoto <sugimoto@ulis.ac.jp>, Jason Diamond <jason@injektilo.org>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Sigfrid Lundberg, Lub NetLab wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Jason Diamond wrote:
> > I just found this document, "Using Dublin Core in XML" [1], also a Working
> > Draft but much more recent, that uses http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/ as
> > the namespace. Thanks in advance to everyone who was going to point that
> > out. I still don't like the fact that it's version dependant.
>
> Neither do I. Again, if you want to influence the development of these
> documents, turn to the DCMI itself.

Shigeo Sugimoto, his colleagues, and I just finished a short paper
discussing some versioning requirements and alternative ways to version
the Dublin Core. We also come down in favor of version-independent
namespace and element names.  At the same time, we suggest some
mechanisms for helping developers or archivists specify or reconstruct
the exact state of namespaces and definitions as of a particular date.

We "very soon now" wanted to turn this paper into a strawman for
discussion on the mailing list of the DCMI Registry Working Group
(http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/dc-registry/join.html) and welcome
anyone from this list to join.  I would be happy to share this paper
with anyone in the meantime.

Tom

Dr. Thomas Baker                                            Thomas.Baker@gmd.de
GMD Library
Schloss Birlinghoven                                           +49-2241-14-2352
53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany                              fax +49-2241-14-2619