Re: definition of domain

From: Tom Van Eetvelde <tom.van_eetvelde@alcatel.be>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:40:30 +0200
To: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
CC: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Hello Pierre-Antoine,

Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN wrote:

> Tom Van Eetvelde wrote:
> > What I find a bit unfortunate is the fact that a defined property may only be used on instances of the class mentioned in the domain. I believe the property should also be applicable for subclasses of the class in the domain.
>
>        2.3.2. rdfs:subClassOf
>
>        This property specifies a subset/superset relation between classes. The
>        rdfs:subClassOf property is transitive. If class A is a subclass of some
>        broader class B, and B is a subclass of C, then A is also implicitly a
>        subclass of C. Consequently, resources that are instances of class A will
>        also be instances of C, since A is a sub-set of both B and C. Only instances
>        of rdfs:Class can have the rdfs:subClassOf property and the property value
>        is always of rdf:type rdfs:Class. A class may be a subclass of more than one
>        class.
>
> Instances of a subclass of C are also instances of the class C,
> so using a property with domain C with instances of subclasses is allowed.
>
>   Pierre-Antoine

I do not want to use a property with domain C on instances of subclasses, I want to use the property as part of the definition of the subclass, or in other words, I want to use the property on the subclass itself! As in:

<rdfs:Class rdf:ID="Carnivore">
     <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource = "Animal"/>
     <s:eats rdf:resource="#Animal"/>
</rdfs:Class>