Re: Querying Syntax

From: Ross Judson <ross@ManagedObjects.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:12:19 -0400
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Cc: "Ashok Malhotra/Watson/IBM" <petsa@us.ibm.com>
I've read this before, and I hope you won't mind a little cautious
criticism.  First, XML doesn't seem to make a very good query language by
itself; specialized syntaxes are tighter and, if properly designed, more
readable.  XPath is an example of this.

Here's a quick comparison:

  <rdfq:From eachResource="http://www.research.ibm.com/people/">
    <rdfq:Property name="BelongTo" />
          <rdfq:Property name="Budget" />

becomes (further extended to ensure that "BelongTo" is actually a

subjects ((department : startsWith(department,
http://www.research.ibm.com/departments/", "budget", dollars : ge(dollars,
(person : startsWith(person, ""http://www.research.ibm.com/people/),
"BelongTo", department))

I note also that the XML-based syntax is not orthogonal with respect to
querying and navigation amongst all three parts of the triples.

You do have coverage of certain query concepts I have not integrated, like
Quantification and Sorting.

I come at this problem from the perspective of an implementor -- I have an
RDF engine that I want to perform complex queries against.  I needed a
syntax that was conducive to cost optimization.

Your paper was presented during the query language workshop; have there been
other such papers?  Is there any other movement on the RDF query front?