Re: A DTD for the abstract RDF model

From: Graham Klyne <GK@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 14:51:56 +0100
To: Jonas Liljegren <jonas@liljegren.org>
Cc: Tom Van Eetvelde <tom.van_eetvelde@alcatel.be>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
At 02:20 PM 10/9/00 +0200, Jonas Liljegren wrote:
>Graham Klyne <GK@dial.pipex.com> writes:
>
> > I broadly agree with your comments about literals -- they occupy an
> > uncomfortable position in the RDF world view.
>
>I take this opportunity to re-submit an earlier post I wrote on this
>subject:

Ack.

I think I can accept the broad thrust, but maybe have problems with a few
details.

If I understand correctly, you replace a literal with a resource with
properties, as in:

   <Description>
     <value>98</value>
     <type resource="http://www.datatypes.org/useful_types#Integer"/>
   </Description>

so that the 'value' attribute has the literal value as an object, the
'type' indicates a subtype of literal.  Attributes of the property
referencing the literal, such as xml:lang, can be represented as properties
on the literal resource.

Given the above, what (if anything) is to prevent:

   <Description>
     <value>
       <Description>
         <value>98</value>
         <type resource="http://www.datatypes.org/useful_types#Integer"/>
       </Description>
     </value>
     <type resource="http://www.datatypes.org/useful_types#Integer"/>
   </Description>

?  i.e. repeated substitution of the literal with its interpretation as a
resource.  Does this matter?  Maybe not.

When you wrote:

>Age as a resource:
>
><Description about="http://give.me/a.number">
>     <type resource="http://www.datatypes.org/useful_types#Integer"/>
></Description>

I'm not sure how you mean the value "98" to be conveyed.

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)