From: Betsy Skillings [mailto:BSKILLINGS@llbean.com]
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2000 1:41 PM
To: irfan_shah@hotmail.com; charles@w3.org
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Subject: Re: RDF An opportunity

Greetings,

I am pleased to see this last exchange.

I work as Content Architect for a large business-to-consumer e-commerce
site, and am responsible for, among other things, building and assuring
the integrity of attribtute and metadata schemes we use as we bring in
an enterprise Asset Repository, Content/Workflow Management and evolve
our Dynamic Publishing and Personalization tools. I work closely with
our IT application and data architects to assure the customer experience
on the site meets customer and business goals.

So, I am not a skilled coder, but I am motivated to assure that
llbean.com appropriate leverages these new tools. We would like to
support a standard, if it exists, so I have been "listening" to this
list trying to determine if we should move ahead in any one direction or
implement a system that simply makes sense to us at this point

I would be interested in having a discussion with someone who might be
exploring the possible e-commerce applications of RDF, and who could
help us understand the applicability, or not, to us. Feel free to get in
touch with me (see below) or reply within the list, whichever seems most
appropriate.

Thanks for bearing with the long message. Any thoughts for me?

Betsy Skillings
Content Architect,
L.L.Bean E-Commerce
1 Casco Street
Freeport, ME  04033  USA
ph: 207-552-2155
FAX: 207-552-2434
bskillings@llbean.com

>>> Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org> 10/06 7:13 AM >>>
I support the sentiment. The ability to use gaphic tools to generate
and read
RDF (after all, arcs and nodes are a metaphor that translate well to
graphics...) seems likely to be very helpful in this context.

I think it is extremely important to look at use cases and how they
will work
both for the highly motivated coding types who frequent lists like
this, and
the unmotivated and unskilled people who are actually producing the
content
for the web. That group makes a lot of difference to wheter something
gets
widely deployed or not.

cheers

Charles McCN