Re: How/Why to implement Reification efficiently...

From: Stefan Kokkelink <skokkeli@mathematik.uni-osnabrueck.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:58:22 +0100
To: Gabe Beged-Dov <begeddov@jfinity.com>
CC: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Gabe Beged-Dov wrote:

<snip />
 > > > As you say, I am proposing that we assume that a conformant
> > > must generate the bags and reified statements. Once we take that step
> > > we can then discuss how to provide straightforward and efficient API
> > > and implementations based on a standard interpretation.
> >
> > I disagree here. In general there is no need to know
> > about the XML structure since the XML serialization
> > is meant for exchanging RDF models (at least that is
> > my point of view ;-).  If you look at the examples of
> > M&S you won't find an RDF graph containing a reification
> > or bagification unless bagID or propertyID are explicitly
> > given. In my opinion a parser SHOULD provide a configuration
> > setting that enforces a bagification for every rdf:Description
> > element (if someone really is interested in the XML structure
> > of the serialization...)
> I am trying to achieve multiple goals with this interpretation of the
> M&S. The goals are:
> - To have a single consistent interpretation of what an
>   RDF processor generates
<snip />

Yes, this is overdue. The recommendation was published almost
two years ago, and there is still no such consistent interpretation
what an RDF processor should do.(Please, correct me if I am wrong!)
Besides the above problem there are several other.

Another example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <rdf:Bag ID="BAG_ID">
     <rdf:li resource="xyz"/>
     <rdf:li resource="abc"/>
  <rdf:Description ID="MyID">
    <rdf:Description aboutEach="#BAG_ID">

If you use one of the four parser available online (hope
I didn't forget one?)
[1],[2],[3],[4], you get four different results.
This problem has been discussed a while ago (see [5],[6]
or the question in [7]:Which should we implement?),
but there is still no decision. In my opinion the
reason for this is that there is no authority who
could make such a decision (or recommendation).

[1] http://swi.psy.uva.nl/projects/SWI-Prolog/packages/sgml/online.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/RDF/Implementations/SiRPAC/
[3] http://www.pro-solutions.com/rdfdemo/
[4] http://zoe.mathematik.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE/RDF/parser.html