Re: summary of 'a triple is not unique' and 'statements/reified' statements

Seth Russell wrote:

> Libby Miller wrote:

<snip />

> > and that we do need something like Gabe's suggestion of bags of reified
> > statements [1] at least as an interpretation of the information from a
> > source of RDF (I don't think Gabe means that all serializations of RDF
> > should follow this format, just the handling of rdf data from other
> > sources - I might be wrong...). So this has implications for handling
> > the triples we have in a consistent way from different sources, and
> > therefore also implications about how we match triples (as in your
> > suggestion) and by extension, for querying.
>
> I must be getting old, I simply cannot follow what Gabe is saying.  It seems to
> conflate the syntax and  the model in a way that I am not used to.  I keep
> worrying that I am being tricked, and I won't be able to put a statement in a
> context, and then put statements about those statements in another context.
> Perhaps this has been provided for, but I haven't seen any diagrams that I
> understand.  Sorry, If I can't see it in a diagram, then I don't believe it.

It would help if you would indicate a specific point of mine that you
can't follow. I've tried to phrase my points in various ways and would
be happy to learn what aspects of my phrasing are throwing things off.

BTW, the use of the term "model" earlier in your message made me
revisit the thread from last month and Sergey's posting [2]. He makes
the point that there is only one model which is "the model" which
contains all the statements/triples in existence. It corresponds to
the set of Statements which is described in the formal model in the
M&S.

Sightings of these triples can occur in many places of which places on
the web are of most interest to me. An RDF/XML document is a specific
place that members of the universal Statements set can  either occur
in and/or be referred to. The M&S provides a way to capture the fact
that these occurences or references happened at a specific place on
the web. The URI portion of the reified resource identifier provides
this information.

In addition, the M&S provides a way of tracing the syntactic context
of a statement occurrence to a finer level by associating all the
statement occurrences in a particular RDF/XML Description element to a
Bag.

The reified statement resource and the Description Bag are also used
for other purposes than providing traceability and context. Since they
are resources, they can be the objects of statements and this is the
primary way that the M&S discusses their utility. I happen to think
that it is a happy happenstance that they can also be used to provide
other critical capabilities for document webs.

Hope this helps even if there aren't any pictures :-)

Gabe

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-logic/2000Nov/0103.html
[2]