RSS 1.0 "Release Candidate" - implementor sanity checks invited

From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:36:43 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org, dc-architecture@jiscmail.ac.uk
cc: rss-dev@egroups.com

[ apologies for the crosspost, please be gentle with followups; ideally
send to rss-dev only ]

RDF, Dublin Core folks,

Just a quick note to encourage implementors interested in the RSS
channel/syndication data format to take a look at our release candidate
at 	http://purl.org/rss/1.0/

While RSS is not a W3C or DCMI effort, it'd be great if folks from
the RDF IG and DCMI Architecture lists could take a look. My
implementation experience to date leads me to think we've got it
just about right. DC-augmented RSS 1.0 can be scraped from XHTML using
XSLT (see [1]) so content producers can avoid the need to author
RSS/RDF by hand --- ie. it can be pretty simple to deploy. RSS 1.0 can
nevertheless serve as a transport for richer application
specific data structures (see [2], eg. job descriptions, dublin core
extensions etc) that can work with more sophisticated query and
inference tools from the RDF / Semantic Web community.

We're on a fairly aggressive schedule with RSS, so we're looking for
showstopper problems rather than endless discussion. Take a look and see
if you can break it! ;-)

Have fun,

Dan

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/