Re: [RDF] Re: tracing statement origin (was Re: I have a trouble with The RDF Model)

From: Stefan Kokkelink <skokkeli@mathematik.uni-osnabrueck.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:32:33 +0100
To: Gabe Beged-Dov <begeddov@jfinity.com>
CC: "www-rdf-interest@w3.org" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Gabe Beged-Dov wrote:

> Explicitly adding bagID seems to trigger the reification in most
> (all?) current parsers. Presence of property ID triggers it in some.
> In addition, some current parsers provide a configuration setting to
> cause the riefication and bagification of statements without explicit
> bagID and property ID ("show bags for each description block" in the
> Cara demonstration).
>
> As you say, I am proposing that we assume that a conformant parser
> must generate the bags and reified statements. Once we take that step
> we can then discuss how to provide straightforward and efficient API
> and implementations based on a standard interpretation.

I disagree here. In general there is no need to know
about the XML structure since the XML serialization
is meant for exchanging RDF models (at least that is
my point of view ;-).  If you look at the examples of
M&S you won't find an RDF graph containing a reification
or bagification unless bagID or propertyID are explicitly
given. In my opinion a parser SHOULD provide a configuration
setting that enforces a bagification for every rdf:Description
element (if someone really is interested in the XML structure
of the serialization...)

All the best,
Stefan