Re: Of partial reification

From: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 16:17:02 +0100
To: Jonas Liljegren <jonas@rit.se>
CC: Graham Klyne <GK@Dial.pipex.com>, ML RDF-interest <www-rdf-interest@w3c.org>
Jonas Liljegren wrote:
> The variables is necessary if you want something two or more steps
> away.

Not only !
As Graham pointed out :

Graham Klyne wrote:
> What is the purpose of variables in such a query?
>
> (a) maybe to establish the existence of a given property for a subject,
> without caring about its object value?
>    [?S] --rdf:type-------> [rdf:Statement]
>    [?S] --rdf:subject----> [SomeResource]
>    [?S] --rdf:predicate--> [??]
>    [?S] --rdf:object-----> [??]

The two last lines guarantee that only "full" quads will be retrieved.

I would not stand up a fight for partial statements, though :)
Actually, Graham summed up very well my position is a previous post :
the pain in disallowing them looks greater than the pain in allowing them,
and we should not disallow them only because WE don't see them as useful...

  Pierre-Antoine