RE: A triple is not unique.

From: Bill dehOra <BdehOra@interx.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:24:13 -0000
To: "'Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN'" <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>, Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
Cc: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>, "McBride, Brian" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>, RDF-IG <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

> That is true.
> But unlike Brian McBride, I think the spec is not un
> ambiguous about Reified statements (though it is precise
> about Statements).
> Now, assigning more than one URI to a statement is not only
> syntactically possible, it is useful.
> Hence it would be great to officialy allow that.

If I said "x foo y" and Brian says "x foo y" and Pierre says "x foo y", it
may be useful to treat these three identical statements as:

-three different things (maybe none of us knew what the other had said)
-the same thing being pointed to (maybe we found out)
-other options I don't know about :)

> I still agree with you.
> But the quetion you quote maybe hides a deeper one : "does
> RDF describe only resources, or does it also describe entities".
> My guess is that when a resources resolves to a unique
> entity, it is very tempting to describe the entity rather
> than the resource -- and I'm pretty sure some RDF users already did.

RDF describes only resources and combinations of resources. I'm happy to
lift literals into system dependent resources.

-Bill de hÓra