RE: A triple is not unique.

From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:21:00 +0000 (GMT)
To: "McBride, Brian" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
cc: "'Dan Brickley'" <danbri@w3.org>, Jonas Liljegren <jonas@rit.se>, Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>, RDF-IG <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, McBride, Brian wrote:

> > I am however in the business of trying to make sure all that
> > stuff (eg.
> > possible rechartering of model/syntax work) reflects the concerns and
> > experience of RDF implementors. Specifically, I'd like to better
> > understand how the design issues here relate to existing RDF
> > implementations and vocabularies. If/when we jump one way or
> > the other on
> > this issue, current code and systems may break if they've
> > made a different
> > interpretation of the spec. Right now I'm not sure if most
> > implementors
> > have for eg tried to remain neutral, with code that could operate in
> > either style. I suspect most folk would value resolution of this issue
> > pretty highly, and would live with the consequences. What I
> > don't know yet
> > is how big a disruption this issue's resolution might be.
>

> I can see that the disruption caused to current implementations
> would be a factor if m&s was ambiguous.  But if the answer lies
> in m&s, I humbly suggest the spec takes precedence.  That's what
> specs are for.

Maybe I missed the appropriate post, but I'm unclear how we square the
set-oriented definition of 'Statement' with the syntactic ability to
assign various IDs (and hence URIs) to the XML occurances of RDF
statements. Or rather, I suspect we could do this, by adopting a strong
view on the "can a resource have multiple URIs" question that
periodically bedevils discussion here and elsewhere.

Dan