RE: Does RDF overlap w/XML Schema

From: James Tauber <JTauber@bowstreet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:44:52 -0500
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
> Since RDF was developed before XML Schema we cannot say that
> this is the case - in fact - we should _now_ be starting new
> effort on _truely_ building RDF on top of XML Schema (ie RDF 2.0)
>
> RDF 2.0 should be completely expressable with XML Schema.
> (The web can only handle one schema language)

I disagree. XML Schema is about constraining the surface XML. RDF Schema is
about constraining triples (the relationship to XML Schema depends entirely
on the serialization syntax)

My view, as I have expressed before, is that RDF should not provide a
serialization syntax the way it currently does. It should provide:

	1. the triple model [done]
	2. a schema for constraining the model [done]
	3. a means for describing, in an XML schema, how instances of that
schema map to RDF triples

James