Re: New Semantic-Web List?

> I thought we had this discussion last week!

We did, but it was left unfinished.

> W3C have already established such a list, semantic-web@w3.org
> [...] we held back from publicising the W3C SW list because it was
> unclear how to characterise its role, if any, alongside existing lists.

I feel it would be easy define such a list: create a spin off IG from RDF
IG; SW IG - and use semantic-web@w3.org as a basis for discussion. Why not?
The SW is a subject that is potentially bigger than RDF, even if there are
ten times more discussions about RDF at the moment!

> While folk can do what they want, set up lists elsewhere etc,

[point-taken]

> I'd prefer it if we could avoid muddying the picture by having too many
> generic SW lists.

Too many? There's only semantic-web@w3.org, and that isn't even being used!
I agree www-talk is a very good mailing list: it's history is incredible,
but try poting a discussion about the SW there: you simply don't get a
reply. I really wish that people did use www-talk, but they don't. People
think of the SW as being the SW, saying "discuss it on www-talk" makes
people think "maybe this is the wrong place", even if it clearly isn't :-)

> If semantic-web@w3.org has a good use, let's use it.[...] But if it makes
> sense to the SW developer community to spread SW discussion across
> another list, semantic-web@w3.org seems as good a list as any to be
> home to that.

Well, I feel it does make a great deal of sense, and many people I have
conversed with feel the same. Can and should we start using
semantic-web@w3.org for public discussion about the Semantic Web then? I
really do feel we need an abstract and/or generic based thread discussion
forum, for when we aren't discssing RDF, but we are discussing the SW, or
when we are doing both...

Sean B. Palmer