Re: New Semantic-Web List?

From: <ssarkar@ayushnet.com>
Date: 13 Nov 2000 10:07:01 -0800
To: sean@mysterylights.com
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
On Mon, 13 November 2000, "Sean B. Palmer" wrote:

> In short, the reasons for creating a new list are as follows:
>
> 1. Having a public Semantic Web (SW) list provides a nice forum and an
> umbrella for public SW related activities.
> 2. At the moment, there is no official home for *abstract and generic* SW
> conversations. Conversations like that on RDF IG, xml-dev etc. tend to go
> quiet after a while, and have no real direction.
> 3. I feel that SW conversations are a highly broad subject, a subject so
> vast that it warrants a list of its own.
>
> Sean B. Palmer

SW discussions in a separate forum may become
abstract with no relevance to concrete problems and
may also go quite after a while.  I feel that XML/RDF
has a direction with metadata support which brings
semantics to web data and resources.  These standards
are not mature enough.  We can probably discuss about
semantics from different application domains to add
relevant stuff to XML/RDF.  RDF is not currently used
by a large number of users.  But by focusing on
different semantic domains we may add more
concrete (and abstract) syntax to RDF.

--ssarkar@ayushnet.com