Re: RDF API convergence? was Re: ANNOUNCE: RDF.NET

From: Alberto Reggiori (vaio) <alberto.reggiori@jrc.it>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 01:13:13 +0100
To: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
CC: www-rdf-interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
> Dan Brickley wrote:
>
> > In the light of this and other implementation activities
> > recently announced on www-rdf-interest, I reckon the time is fast
> > approaching that we lock various RDF API implementors in a room and
> > only let them out when there's a common strawman API.

Hello!

Personally I have been looking for such an RDF API spec when I started off with
RDFStore [1], and at that time I ended up using the great work of Sergey Melnik.
Today we have a larger and richer set of RDF API implementations (and understanding),
and
I also personally feel the need to converge, and sit down and try to specify such a
document.

A list of requirements could be the following:

- specified using IDL interfaces
- bindings into the major languages (Java, Phyton, Perl, C, C++, C# and so on)
- layered - e.g. core, parsing, storing, querying, services and protocols
- support either statement and resource centric views
- be event based
- must support signatures, digests
- possibly have a SOAP interface
- be easy to use and understand for the programmer

I much more in favor of an open discussion over this list.

my 2 lire :-)

Alberto

[1] http://xml.jrc.it/RDFStore