Re: Semantic Document Framework(s)

Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com> wrote:

> To that end, formation of documents such as [1] will be automatic: and *not*
> hand written! (Even though I found it very easy). ;-)

Formation, perhaps, but the content has to come from somewhere. People are
notoriously bad about writing metadata. As a general rule, they'll almost
never do it. I think it's unlikely that any system that requires the
inclusion of metadata will really take off. Look at HTML's meta tag! The
only people who use it are those who hope to get fame or fortune from better
search engine hits because of it.

> What can we do with the example *now*?

More importantly is what do you want to do? I don't see anything very
promising from these examples:

> 1. Extract Semantic descriptions of the document itself, or one or more of
> its nodal Semantic points (such as a paragraph description).

I don't see how this is possible with your example, or, in truth, with
really any system of markup (at least not reliably).

> 2. Generate other forms of XML (e.g. XHTML, WML) from it, easily because the
> document is well described.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I thought this was a goal for XHTML and XSLT.
I've also heard things about the next generation of WML being an XHTML
profile/subset.  I don't see how metadata description helps such files
creation. Better semantic tagging helps, though.

> 3. Use the foot section to generate an RDF description of the Further
> Examples DL.

I don't quite follow what you're doing here.

> 4. One day, hopefully, validate the dang thing.

And this would help, how?

> 5. Use the semantic descriptions to place it where it lies in the Web. (e.g.
> extract: rel and rev).

It lies in the Web, amongst links. Semantic descriptions won't help you
figure this out, more advanced linking and smarter search engines will.

> 6. Use it as a good example of Semantic markup, far removed from HTML.

I don't see the semantics here...

Sorry, I feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks,