RE: RDF and XLink

From: Graham Klyne <GK@Dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 07:01:09 +0100
To: "Eve L. Maler" <Eve.Maler@east.sun.com>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org, sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>, stefan Decker <stefan@db.stanford.edu>
At 11:31 AM 5/26/00 -0400, Eve L. Maler wrote:
(Quoting someone else, so I guess this bit is reified...)

>"I'd recommend to be very careful with such things. RDF spec has a
>similar construct "aboutEach" which has been the subject of controversy
>and misunderstanding. The spec demands that the "batch" process of
>assigning the given relationship with every member of the bag (or in
>your case, every element with the same label) takes place during
>parsing, i.e. is transparent to the applications. However, a similar
>syntactic element "aboutEachPrefix" can only be expressed at the model
>level, i.e. using special relationships with predefined meaning."

I'm not sure I believe the last sentence.  I'd like to see a demonstration
of expressing 'aboutXXX' at the model level.

(This possibly plays into another thread about "lightweight reification"
and "contexts", etc.)

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)