Re: visual query tools: SHOE/PARKA applet

> Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:33:18 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
> To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
> cc: eric@w3.org
> Subject: visual query tools: SHOE/PARKA applet
>
> I just stumbled across a rather neat Java-based query demo on the
> SHOE/PARKA site.
>
> http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/plus/SHOE/binpiq.html (older binary-relations)
> http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/plus/SHOE/piq.html (new n-ary relation)
>
> The two versions of the applet correspond to SHOE's evolution from an
> RDF-like binary relations model to a full n-ary relations approach. The
> Java applet demo allows the graphical creation of queries. Basically it's
> a simple visual graph editor with the ability to flag each node in the
> graph as a variable. The query structure can then be sent to a server
> which responds with a result-set that can also be viewed in terms of the
> query graph.
>
> For the Java-averse, there are screenshots,
> http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/plus/SHOE/images/plusquery.gif
> http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/plus/SHOE/images/pubquery.gif
> (rounded nodes represent variables in these displays)
>
> Dan

Those interested in "semantic web" query tools should also check out our
SHOE Search tool. Many people find this tool easier to use than the PIQ,
although the range of possible queries is a little more restricted. SHOE
Search is the centerpiece of Semantic Search, the SHOE Search engine,
which was made available earlier this month.

Domain specific query tools are also possible. We have created one such
tool to assist risk assessment of product contamination for the FDA.
It's called the TSE Path Anaylzer.

It would be fairly easy to create similar tools for RDF.

Links:
-------
SHOE Search: http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/plus/SHOE/search.html
The SHOE Search Engine: http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/plus/SHOE/search/