'form' and 'elementFormDefault' appear harmful

From: Ralph R. Swick <swick@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:30:53 -0400
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
The control over namespace qualification provided by form and
elementFormDefault appear, if I understand them correctly, to
change default namespace processing in a very fundamental way.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmlschema-1-20000407/#declare-element

It appears that the default case, 'elementFormDefault=unqualified'
would change what a processor currently understands to be the
namespace of some unqualified elements within the scope of
some parents.  To understand which unqualified elements are bound
to which namespaces requires schema processing.

This seems to make default namespace declarations unuseable, (or,
conversely, to make schema processing a requirement rather than
an option).  Neither conclusion feels good to me.  I hope I'm
fundamentally misunderstanding, Schema Structures section 4.3.2
and that the statement in the final paragraph of Schema Primer
section 3.1 is inaccurate.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmlschema-0-20000407/#UnqualLocals