Re: Subclass of Thing/Resource

At 04:20 PM 3/3/00 -0800, Guha wrote:
>Ok, in theory we can assign everything a unique identifier. The
>reason URL's are used so much more than URNs is that the
>URL contains enough information for an application to be able
>to do something with it.

A data point:

In some recent IETF-related discussions, we have been discussing use of URL
vs URN.  Although URN seemed a reasonable way to go, the following
_perceptions_ weighed against URN:

(1) URNs have to meet a very high standard of persistence.

(2) Applications tend to process URNs as something layered on top of
URI/URL structures, rather than just another kind of URI.

Comments?

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)