Re: BICI, a new "legacy" Identifier

From: Francis Cave <francis@franciscave.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:14:45 -0000
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Eric Hellman wrote:

> I encourage everyone with an interest in using RDF in Book metadata
> systems to review this draft and submit comments.  In particular, I'm
> concerned about about proliferation of identifiers which have been
> designed without regard to internationalization and URI
> compatibility, as it seems with this one.

This isn't a fair assessment of the BICI, which has been under discussion
for considerable time within the book industry. For those not aware of the
background, the BICI is a logical development from the SICI, which is
well-established as a means of identifying learned journals and articles.
RFC 2288 explains how SICIs can be supported by URNs, so I cannot see any
reason for supposing that the BICI cannot be supported in a similar manner.

Francis Cave

Francis Cave Digital Publishing
The Old Bakery
Felday Glade