Re: Places & Naming Conventions

We are building a geografical thesaurus (GTU) for the German Environmental
Information Network. (http://www.gein.de).
It's not yet to be seen on these pages, but it already works in the
test-site http://www.gein.de/pilot02/assistent.html.
GTU contains more than 60.000 geografic names in Germany with their
positions relative to each other, so you can find something like "geografic
synonyms", which means places, that cover each other (partially).

We didn't do it with RDF, but with "plain" XML. We are thinking about
modelling it as a "Topic Map" (http://www.topic-maps.com/). I think there is
no benefit in pressing all the information into the tripples of RDF.

GTU is not a "Resource Description", it is a vocabulary that we use in the
"area" tag of our RDF description of information resources.

Thomas Bandholtz
-  Sema Group GmbH -
Project Manager Environmental Information Systems
Kaltenbornweg 3
D50679 Cologne
GERMANY
xx49 221 8299 264