RE: URI equivalence, URI's for "standard" identifiers

> I believe the answer is to use URN's. I don't believe, however, that
> specific URN namespaces for things like ISBN etc have yet been formally
> defined and/or registered.

There's no reason to indirect via a urn: prefix.
	isbn:nnnn
is perfectly valid URI syntax[1], provides all the necessary
information,
and has been in use since Nov 1991. I hope the folks that acutally
own and operate the ISBN social process endorse this practice soon
and register isbn: with IANA.

I maintain an informal registry
of URI schemes:

isbn: