Re: assymetric reference of properties

From: Jonas Liljegren <jonas@paranormal.o.se>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 21:09:25 +0100
To: martin <martin@csi.forth.gr>, RDF Intrest Group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
martin wrote:

> Hence a declaration of a property instance should refer to the direction
> of instantiation in the one or the other way. Inverse use could be
> indicated
>
> - by an RDFS statement identifying two properties as inverse of each
> other
>    and using the respective property,
> - or by a syntactic element declaring a property instantiation as
> inverse use,
> - or by declaring a property instance explicitly from the domain
> instance to the range instance
>     in a descripription of the range instance,
> - or by using one of a tuple of two names per property,
>
> where I like the last more than the first.

The property name is not to be used in a presentation of the relation.
That is what the label property does.

All property instances could have a label. Or two...

Lets create two Property classes that is subPropertyOf rdfs:label. You
could
call them 'rel' and 'rev'.

That could be used by properties like 'parent':
	parent --rdf:type--> rdfs:Property
	parent --rel--> 'parent'
	parent --rev--> 'child'

	rel --rdf:type--> rdfs:Property
	rel --rdfs:subPropertyOf--> rdfs:label

Programs that doesn't know about the meaning of rel/rev would be
confused by the two labels, but it would know that they are lables, and
maby present both.

--
/ Jonas  -  http://paranormal.o.se/myself/cv/index.html