Re: Semantic Web Hackings

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 02:51:49 -0000
To: "Jason Diamond" <jason@injektilo.org>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
[Please note that it is 2:50AM, and I haven't got a clue what I'm typing,
so this may not be a coherent/cohesive arguement. I'll take another look in
the morning.]

> > On the Semantic Web.
> You're kidding, right?

No, very serious. [At which point I fall about on the floor laughing].
When I talk about the Semantic Web, it appears I am talking about something
very different from what most people are talking about.

> I understand that mailto is just a name. I just think that it's
> worthless in the context of a distributed system without any
> method of resolving it.

Why on earth would you want to resolve a name? You resolve addresses, not
names; c.f. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/NameMyth.html
A name is a name is a name. I don't see what you're getting at with this
"distributed system" stuff. Why would you want to resolve an RDF property
value (that's what I'm using it as)? It's like resolving a sentence or
something...

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
http://infomesh.net/sbp/
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ [ERT/GL/PF]
"Perhaps, but let's not get bogged down in semantics."
   - Homer J. Simpson, BABF07.