Re: RDFS bug "A property can have at most one range property"

From: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:29:26 +0000 (GMT)
To: "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>, "Ora Lassila" <daml@lassila.org>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
On December 11, Tim Berners-Lee writes:
> I see DAML-ONT as natural extension of RDF-S.  Whether for simplicity
> one defines synonyms in the DAML namesapce for RDFS proerties is
> a question which is open.  I understand the coinsensus is for the moment
> not to.  I find when authoring things by hand it is a  pain to have to
> use seperate rdf: and rdfs: and ont: namespaces, but some said their
> software
> didn't handle coreference well enough to pepper the world with synonyms.
> I'm not very fussy about it at present myself.

The latest consensus is that synonyms will be retained, even if
"deprecated", as an aid to backwards compatibility.

Ian Horrocks, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK.
Tel: +44 161 275 6133  Fax: +44 161 275 6204  Email: horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk
WWW: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks