Re: Instant RDF

Aaron Swartz wrote:

> Seth Russell has been working on something like this (I've CC-ed him so he
> can comment) where he says that any XML document can be easily turned into
> RDF by stating which elements are the nodes of the document, and assuming
> the rest are arrows. The reason I'm not too fond of this is because it does
> not work in every situation, and thus requires intelligence and forethought
> on the part of the document designers. I'm making this proposal so that we
> can use a legacy format (RSS), not designed to be used like that, also as an
> RDF format.

My conjecture is that if there is semantic content in a XML document,
then there exists a way to annotate it such that it can be
unambiguously transformed into a well formed *generalization* of  the
RDF data model.  If the original document does not contain any
semantic content then we would have a GIGO thing.  Also note that this
would be a generalization of the RDF data model.  There is no mandate
in XML to only talk about internet resources that can be assigned a
URI, so any random XML may not be translatable into the more
restrained RDF.

--
Seth Russell
http://RobustAI.net/MyNetwork/index.html