Re: Some questions on properties

From: Stefan Decker <stefan@db.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 01:07:38 -0700
To: Jan Wielemaker <jan@swi.psy.uva.nl>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
At 09:30 AM 4/26/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Thanks Stefan
>
>[ As you probably guess, I decided to have a look at interpreting
>   RDF directly in Prolog.  Sofar it looks rather trivial.  Less then
>   300 lines of Prolog provide me with a Prolog structure ready for
>   generating triples (on top of the output of an XML parser).  I
>   now try to understand the semantics :-

Great! But interpreting RDF isn't the easiest part.
I assume many people are interested in the code.

>   P.s. I failed to find a good test-suite.  Does it exist?
>]
Unfortunately, not yet....

> > An example:
> > lets say i want to express that i believe the statement that
> > the creator of the resource http://www.w3.org/Home/Lassila is Ora Lassila:
> >
> > The original statement
> >    <rdf:RDF>
> >      <rdf:Description about="http://www.w3.org/Home/Lassila">
> >        <s:Creator ID="statement1" >Ora Lassila</s:Creator>
> >      </rdf:Description>
> >
> > <!-- The statement saying that i believe the above statement -->
> >
> >      <rdf:Description about="#statement1">
> >        <s:believedBy>Stefan Decker</s:believedBy>
> >      </rdf:Description>
> >    </rdf:RDF>
>
>That is clear.  Now, which triples should this create?  Is this
>(bit sloppy on the notation).
>
>http://www.w3.org/Home/Lassila, Creator, genid1
>genid1, type, RDF:#Statement
>genid1, ID, #statement1
>genid1, subject, http://www.w3.org/Home/Lassila
>genid1, predicate, Creator
>genid1, object, Ora Lassila
Not exactly.
(Also a bit sloppy here and without checking with the specification):
% The original statement (because it is explicitly stated):
http://www.w3.org/Home/Lassila, Creator, "Ora Lassila"

% The reified statement (does not imply that the statement is stated!):

statement1, type, RDF:#Statement
statement1, subject, http://www.w3.org/Home/Lassila
statement1, predicate, Creator
statement1, object, Ora Lassila

% The statement that statement1 is believed:
statement1, believedBy, "Stefan Decker"

Best,
         Stefan