Re: Schema spec

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:21:03 -0400 (EDT)
To: "McBride, Brian" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
cc: RDF Interest Group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, McBride, Brian wrote:

> Appendix A of the schema spec gives an RDF serialization of schema which
> begins:
>
> <rdf:RDF
>    xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>    xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#">
>
> <rdfs:Class rdf:ID="Resource">
>   <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">Resource</rdfs:label>
>   <rdfs:label xml:lang="fr">Ressource</rdfs:label>
>   <rdfs:comment>The most general class</rdfs:comment>
> </rdfs:Class>
>
> Should the 4th line read:
>
> <rdfs:Class rdf:about="rdfs:Resource">

I think this is really an RDF syntax question. RDF syntax doesn't
currently allow xml-namespace qualified names inside attributes. At the
time, there was a widespread desire to do so but an awareness that such
abbreviations would be invisible to other namespace aware processors,
which might set about re-writing namespace prefixes on element and
attribute names, breaking the linkage between 'rdfs:' and the full URI if
we used qualified names in attribute content. Now we (nearly) have XML
Schema, it could be easier to express such usage in a fashion that
machines can be made aware of.

The intention is that the construct we use represents an RDF model
equivalent to that which parsers would produce if encountering:

	<rdfs:Class rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Resource">

if the context was that the 'base URI' for the syntax parsing was
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#

Ralph Swick has just posted some very detailed comments on this in reply
to a submission to the rdf-comments list; it might be good to move
discussion of that to the RDF IG forum:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2000AprJun/0014.html

Dan