Re: Call for success stories

From: Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:53:07 +0200
To: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Cc: RDF Interest Group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 02:20:34PM -0700, Sergey Melnik wrote:
> Folks,
> people keep asking about how RDF is being used in the industry. I think
> we need a page/section listing some known success stories. There are
> definitely a few out there like epinions.com (Guha?), Adobe (Perry?),
> AGFA (Jos?), HP, DublinCore and Dmoz uses etc. This would give RDF some
> more visibility as a practicable technology. Must not be as fancy as
> http://www.corba.org/
> Anybody else around secretly building industry-strength products on top
> of RDF? ;)
> Dan, if this makes sense, could you coordinate it?

  I don't know if rpmfind service qualifies as an "industry-strength
products" but the RDF database of Linux package metadata

 is the base for the rpmfind service and it's replication mechanism
 I've got nasty troubles with my logs lately but approximately
10% of rpmfind.net traffic are just RDf metadata fetches (approx
half a million fetches per month). The catalogs are also used to
build mirrors of the service or the HTML pages front-end like

 but I have no estimate for the number and popularity of mirrors.

Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW
Fax : +33 476 615 207  | 38330 Montbonnot FRANCE | Gnome rpm2html rpmfind
 http://www.w3.org/People/all#veillard%40w3.org  | RPM badminton Kaffe