Re: Relationship between RDF and XML Schema?

From: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <no email>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:49:51 +0100
To: Mark Papiani <mp@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Mark Papiani wrote:
> However, XML Schema Structures also states that it has
> not yet documented requirements or dependencies RDF Schema.

This has been done since. Have a look at the Cambridge Communique :
  http://www.w3.org/1999/08/27-communique

> Please could someone explain if there is a relationship between the two
> and why there are multiple specifications being developed for XML
> Schemas. Do they solve different problems, or are they just
> alternatives?

I think (and I read the Cambridge Communique this way) that
XML Schemas and RDF Schemas address different problems :
the information content of an XML document is a tree structure,
which nodes are defined in the document,
since the information content of an RDF document is a direct labelled graph,
which nodes are resource, often existing outside the document.

Schemas are used to constrain the structure of the information content
of a document (or group of documents).
Since the information content of XML docs and RDF docs hzvr inherently
different structures, XML schemas and RDF schemas do not address the same goals
-- even if some concepts (such has inheritance) are used by both.

 Hope this'll help

  Pierre-Antoine