RDF manipulation protocol?

From: Will Sargent <wsargent@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 16:50:25 -0800
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
I have a problem I'm hoping someone help me with.  This may not be the right
forum; if so, I apologize in advance.

I've been working on integrating bookmarks in Mozilla with a remote
database, so that users can have collaborative bookmarking.  I was
originally thinking of using serialized RDF as the protocol, but AFAIK,
serialized RDF doesn't provide facilities for removing or modifying data --
there's no API for it.

There are two strategies I can think of... one of them is to have little
bundles of RDF I can use as commands, and have the server send back RDF
acks... or write my own simple protocol and just use RDF for describing new
bookmark nodes.  I've gone with the second approach for now, but it strikes
me that the last thing the world needs is another hack protocol, and I'd be
interested in a better solution.

Will.