Re: Cambridge Communique

From: Sankar Virdhagriswaran <sv@crystaliz.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:45:40 -0500
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
To throw some cold water on all this ....

> RDF is a modelling formalism targetted at describing classes of
> 'resources', where resources (roughly) are things that might
> be identified with URIs, ie. everything.  Again, RDF isn't alone in
> this - lots of other XML applications describe stuff.

Hmmm...I wonder what happens in cases where these said resources are
XML-Schema documents which use XML-Schema to represent their properties and
properties about themselves.

Yes, organized way of representing meta-data when the underlying data is not
well marked up (e.g., HTML documents) is a useful activity. One could argue
that RDF was invented for just this purpose. However, why can't I provide
the same description (perhaps in a less flexible or powerful way) using
XLink and XML-Schema based documents that describe the not well marked up
data.

IMHO, there is a trade off to be made here by developers and the Cambridge
communiqué really does not identify the issues in that trade off analysis
and address it head on.