Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-binding-protocol-02.txt (fwd)

Dan Brickley wrote:

>On the RDF/WebDAV front, this new draft is interesting as it relates to
>some of the issues we've discussed w.r.t. 'anonymous' nodes and the
>relationship between resource identifiers (URIs) and the resources
>themselves.  I'd really like to see this nailed down explicitly for
>RDF: is RDF happy with the notion that one single resource can have
>multiple URI names bound to it?

If a resource can be defined as anything which has a URI (which seems to be
its only required characteristic) it seems to rather pull the rug away to
say that something which is defined only by its unique identity can have
multiple unique identities.

I think Dan's proposal is appropriate for RDF (as any entity can have
multiple identities, it would be unwise to do anything else) but does it
compromise URI?

Godfrey

Working Group of the IETF.

>	Title		: WebDAV Bindings
>	Author(s)	: J. Slein, E. Whitehead,  J. Davis,
>                          G. Clemm, C. Fay,  J. Crawford
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-webdav-binding-protocol-02.txt
>	Pages		: 22
>	Date		: 22-Dec-99
>
>This is one of a pair of specifications that extend the WebDAV
>Distributed Authoring Protocol to enable clients to create new access
>paths to existing resources.  The two protocol extensions have very
>different characteristics that make them useful for different sorts of
>applications.
>
>The present specification defines bindings, and the BIND method for
>creating them.  Creating a new binding to a resource indirectly creates
>one or more new URIs mapped to that resource, which can then be used to
>access it.  Servers are required to insure the integrity of any bindings
>that they allow to be created.
>
>The related specification, RFC xxxx, defines redirect reference
>resources.  A redirect reference resource is a resource whose default
>response is an HTTP/1.1 302 (Found) status code, redirecting the client
>to a different resource, the target resource.  A redirect reference
>makes it possible to access the target resource indirectly, through any
>URI mapped to the redirect reference resource.  There are no integrity
>guarantees associated with redirect reference resources.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-binding-protocol-02.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-webdav-binding-protocol-02.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>

>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>	mailserv@ietf.org.
>In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-binding-protocol-02.txt".
>
>NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>

>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.

Godfrey Rust
Data Definitions
14 Gloucester Road